Search
  • marcellogiuffrida6

Inside the soul of Ragusa Ibla

Wandering in the Baroque streets, from the cathedral to the Musac


Let’s start from the old church of San Giorgio and then enter the gardens of Giardino Ibleo, enjoying an exciting walk and discovering the three churches of the Villa. If we proceed along Corso XXV Aprile, we find buildings that have become sets of the famous Italian television series “Il commissario Montalbano”. To finish, we can visit today’s Church of San Giorgio and Palazzo La Rocca, home of MUSAC.


OLD SAN GIORGIO AND THE GIARDINO IBLEO GARDENS We set off on our Ibleo itinerary just a few meters lower than the entrance to the Giardino Ibleo. There we can admire what remains of the old church of St. Giorgio, built at the beginning of the XIV century under the Chiaramonte dynasty. Unfortunately there is not much left, just an old Gothic-Catalan side portal with a bas-relief depicting San Giorgio (Saint George) kills the dragon and then rescues the princess. Perhaps not everyone knows that this portal was on the left aisle of the old church and that the main facade of the same church was where we now find the entrance to the Giardino Ibleo gardens. The left aisle remained more or less intact after the earthquake of 1693 and continued to be used as a place of worship until the completion of the current church of San Giorgio. It took 82 years before the façade was completed. At that time, what remained of the old church was destroyed in order to “allow” the faithful to move to the new place of worship.


THE ENTRANCE TO THE GIARDINO IBLEO GARDENS AND THE THREE CHURCHES OF THE VILLA Continuing to the right, we find the entrance to the Giardino Ibleo built around the mid-nineteenth century in order to offer the nobility of Ibla a green area to take walks. The current entrance was originally a road that allowed the passage of carriages that continued towards Giarratana, on the left there was the pedestrian entrance. The three churches inside the Villa, San Vincenzo Ferreri, San Giacomo and Sant’Agata were all built before the gardens and can be dated back to around the 16th century. After the 1693 earthquake, they were repaired and renovated in Baroque style first, and then with neoclassical additions made later.


CORSO XXV APRILE: FROM THE CHURCH OF SAN GIUSEPPE TO THE PALACE OF THE AREZZO FAMILY Continuing up along Corso XXV Aprile, we reach Piazza Pola, home to the church of San Giuseppe, with Baroque façade from the early eighteenth century. On the side of the church, we find a building from the early 1900’s, used for the shooting of the first series of television series “Il Commissario Montalbano”. Despite the neoclassical aspect, this is a construction from the twenty years of fascism, where today the municipal offices are found. On one side of the building, going down towards via Torrenuova, one can observe a fascist symbol with the year of construction in Roman numerals in the Gregorian calendar and in the Fascist calendar. This is a rarity, considering that many of these symbols were destroyed after the war. Heading again up Corso XXV aprile, at number 9, we find the Arezzo de Spuches family palace, also owners of the Castello di Donnafugata castle, another set for the filming of some episodes of “Montalbano”. Part of the building is still owed by the Arezzo family, and part held by the municipality. The style of construction is neoclassical, however the building, which had always belonged to the same family, existed before the earthquake of 1693. Inside, the palace is home to a small private theatre that is now open to the public.


THE CHURCH OF SAN GIORGIO Finally, we reach the current church of S. Giorgio, which stands on a hill where, before the earthquake, the church of S. Nicola was present. The new cathedral was built here because the residents of Ibla wanted to place it in a prominent location above the town. Coming up from below, as we do in our walk, the impressive façade created by Gagliardi stands out, as well as the neoclassical dome that was added in 1775. The main façade is not aligned with the layout of the square, done purposefully in order to allow visitors heading towards the upper part of Ibla to see the dome and the façade at the same time.


PALAZZO LA ROCCA Turning onto Via Bocchieri, the more curious visitor will discover Palazzo La Rocca, whose balconies with goose-breasted banisters are embellished with allegorical figures. The building, location of the famous film “Divorzio all’italiana” (Divorce Italian Style), is now home to MUSAC (Museum of History of Architecture and Construction in the Mediterranean).

Marco Palermo (guida turistica, socio ARGS)




Dentro l’anima di Ragusa Ibla


Passeggiando tra le vie barocche, dal duomo alla sede del Musac


Prendiamo il via dalla vecchia chiesa di S. Giorgio per poi entrare nel Giardino Ibleo, vivere un’emozionante e verde passeggiata e scoprire le tre chiese della Villa. Se procediamo lungo corso XXV aprile, troviamo palazzi divenuti set della serie televisiva “Il commissario Montalbano”. Infine visitiamo l’odierna Chiesa di S. Giorgio e il Palazzo La Rocca, sede del MUSAC.


San Giorgio vecchio e il Giardino Ibleo Partiamo per il nostro itinerario ibleo, giusto qualche metro più in basso rispetto all’entrata del Giardino Ibleo. Lì possiamo ammirare quello che resta della vecchia chiesa di S. Giorgio, costruita all’inizio del XIV secolo sotto la dinastia dei Chiaramonte. Purtroppo non resta molto, solo un vecchio portale laterale in stile gotico-catalano con un bassorilievo che raffigura San Giorgio mentre uccide il drago e la principessa tratta in salvo dal santo cavaliere. Forse non tutti sanno che quel portale si trovava sulla navata sinistra della vecchia chiesa e che la facciata principale della stessa chiesa era dove adesso c’è l’entrata al Giardino Ibleo. La navata sinistra rimase più o meno intatta dopo il terremoto del 1693 e continuò ad essere usata come luogo di culto fino al completamento della attuale chiesa di S. Giorgio. Ci vollero 82 anni prima che la facciata fosse ultimata. Fu allora che quello che rimaneva della vecchia chiesa venne distrutto per “consentire” ai fedeli di trasferirsi al nuovo luogo di culto.


L’entrata del Giardino Ibleo e le tre chiese della Villa Proseguendo a destra, troviamo l’entrata del Giardino Ibleo realizzato intorno alla metà del XIX sec. per consentire ai nobili di Ibla di passeggiare in mezzo al verde. L’attuale ingresso era in origine una strada che permetteva il passaggio delle carrozze che proseguivano verso Giarratana, sulla sinistra c’era invece l’entrata pedonale. Le tre chiese all’interno della Villa, S. Vincenzo Ferreri, S. Giacomo e S. Agata erano tutte preesistenti al Giardino Ibleo e databili intorno al XVI secolo. Dopo il terremoto del 1693 furono riparate e rinnovate in stile barocco prima con aggiunte neoclassiche poi. Corso XXV aprile: dalla Chiesa di San Giuseppe al palazzo della famiglia Arezzo Continuando a salire per corso XXV aprile, raggiungiamo piazza Pola dove si erge la chiesa di San Giuseppe con prospetto barocco dei primi del XVIII sec. A lato della chiesa, un palazzo dei primi del ‘900, utilizzato per le riprese delle prime serie del Commissario Montalbano. Nonostante l’aspetto neoclassicheggiante, è una costruzione del ventennio fascista al cui interno sono ospitati uffici comunali. Su un lato della costruzione, scendendo verso via Torrenuova, si osserva un fascio littorio con l’anno di costruzione del palazzo in numerali romani nel calendario gregoriano e nel calendario fascista. Una rarità, considerando che molti di questi simboli andarono distrutti dopo la guerra. Salendo ancora per corso XXV aprile, al civico 9, troviamo il palazzo della famiglia Arezzo de Spuches, proprietaria anche del Castello di Donnafugata, altro set per le riprese degli episodi di Montalbano. Parte del palazzo è ancora della famiglia Arezzo, parte del comune. Lo stile di costruzione è neoclassico ma il palazzo, appartenuto sempre alla stessa famiglia, esisteva già prima del terremoto del 1693. All’interno ospita un piccolo teatro una volta privato adesso pubblico.


La chiesa di San Giorgio Infine, raggiungiamo l’odierna chiesa di S. Giorgio che si erge su una collinetta su cui era presente, prima del terremoto, la chiesa di S. Nicola. La nuova chiesa madre fu costruita qui perché i residenti di Ibla vollero porla in un luogo di rilievo ben visibile. Salendo dal basso, come nel nostro percorso, risalta alla vista l’imponente facciata, opera del Gagliardi, e anche la cupola neoclassica che fu aggiunta nel 1775. Il prospetto principale non è in asse con l’impianto della piazza, proprio per consentire di vedere contemporaneamente cupola e facciata a tutti coloro che si dirigono verso la parte alta di Ibla. Palazzo La Rocca Imboccando via Bocchieri i più curiosi potranno scoprire Palazzo La Rocca, i cui balconi con ringhiera a petto d’oca sono arricchiti da figure allegoriche. Il palazzo, location del film “Divorzio all’italiana”, è oggi sede del MUSAC (Museo di Storia dell’Architettura e della Costruzione nel Mediterraneo).

Marco Palermo (guida turistica, socio ARGS)